I sometimes say schools are simply indoctrination camps. The state has a monopoly on schooling, so why would they teach anything other than positive messages about the state? It only makes sense. Ask any random person in the street for their top 5 presidents of all time. I’d be willing to bet just about everyone says good ole Honest Abe Lincoln. Why? Because he freed the slaves of course!
Here are some fun facts and quotes you probably didn’t learn in school on your man, Abe:
- Did you know Abraham Lincoln ignored the Supreme Court and suspended Habeas Corpus and locked up civilians during the Civil War?
- “I have no purpose, directly or indirectly, to interfere with the institution of slavery in the states where it exists. I believe I have no lawful right to do so, and I have no inclination to do so.” – Abe Lincoln in first debate with Stephen Douglas
- “I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races. I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of Negroes, nor qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people. And I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will ever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. … And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race.” – Lincoln in 4th debate with Douglas
Believe it or not, this is par for the course in politics.
- “I have never had the least apprehension that I or my friends would marry negroes if there was no law to keep them from it, but as Judge Douglas and his friends seem to be in great apprehension that they might, if there were no law to keep them from it, I give him the most solemn pledge that I will to the very last stand by the law of this State, which forbids the marrying of white people with negroes.” – Lincoln in 4th debate with Douglas
Ok, so he said that stuff in debates; he still won the presidency and freed the slaves! But did you know he wanted to ship the freed slaves off American soil?
- “Our republican system was meant for a homogeneous people. As long as blacks continue to live with the whites they constitute a threat to the national life. Family life may also collapse and the increase of mixed breed bastards may some day challenge the supremacy of the white man.” – Published by Lincoln, Abraham Lincoln Quarterly
Stay tuned for the next episode!